It's been a slow year so far for painting and gaming, but last month I capped off another set of DBA armies in fantasy guise - this time, dwarves. My dwarves have shown up here once or twice before, I finally decided to expand them into a full-sized army. I started by looking through the DBA army lists to see if there was a historical army that:
- Could incorporate the figures I had available (heavy infantry and a cannon) AND
- Didn't rely on any cavalry, since I didn't anticipate finding or building any compatible with my 20mm dwarves.
Oddly enough, I found an ideal candidate in list IV/83b, the Rebel Army of Henry Tudor. It would require some archers, crossbows, and handgunners, which led me to tracking down the out-of-production Caesar Dwarves in addition to Alliance set 1 and set 2.
Of course, this left me with quite a few surplus dwarves, and it seemed a shame to waste them all, so I decided to branch out with options for a couple of other historical armies. The III/40b Vikings seemed an obvious candidate, just requiring a couple more solid blades and a warband. And once I had gone that far, why not add one or two more blades to permit me to field III/59 Toltec? (DBA 3.0 allows them a monotype army of twelve solid blades.)
All in all, I ended up with (as pictured from left to right):
2x Psiloi
1x Artillery
12x Solid Blades (including a general option)
1x Command Post (in DBA) or Hero (in HotT)
2x Fast Warband or Fast Auxilia
2x Solid Bow
They've even managed to get out for a game or two (both times getting drubbed by the Orcs, alas...)





Great looking army…and very clever morphing to replicate the DBA armies, too ππΌππΌππΌ
ReplyDeleteSorry to be so late, but this new army is once again a delight for the eyes. Nice to use DBA lists for Fantasy!
ReplyDelete