Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Orcs, Byzantines, and other mythical creatures

What Norman has been painting:

"Byzantine" cavalry! (actually Strelets Russian cavalry)

Scruffy Bronze Age spearmen!

Quick and dirty Orcish archers!

What Norman has not been painting:

This third Assyrian chariot that's been sitting around for weeks now!

About a month back, I was sorting through our pile of unpainted figures and came across a whole bunch of these Strelets Russians that Dad picked up a few years ago. Looking at them, I wondered whether they might be suitable for Byzantine troops, so I cut a few off the sprues to try out. In a fit of procrastination, I got around to painting them up this week, and I have to admit I'm now kind of skeptical. I don't really enjoy painting the chunky Strelets figures as much as some others, and the more I painted them, the less Byzantine they looked to me. But no matter--they can still be troops of the Mizarene Empire. (Or Videssos, for that matter, given the shield design...)

The Orcs have also been sitting in the queue for a while, so I suppose it's good to get them out of the way as well. Some of Paul's conversions that he posted a week or two back were quite interesting--I may have to give something similar a try myself...

I also got in a couple of games of HotT with my brother recently--while there's not much to tell by way of a battle report, I figured I'd take this opportunity to show off some of his figures:

The Lich King, along with his latest toy--a Persian-style chariot.

My Mongols face off against his Arab types. We had a weird sort of Conga line situation going on here: If my Behemoth had beaten his Spears, he would have recoiled into my Riders and died. If my Behemoth had lost, it would have crushed the Spears behind it when it recoiled. Either one would have given me the last two points to win the game. Naturally, the combat was a tie.

(I did win in the end, though.)







1 comment: